An essential oil is a concentrated, hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile, ethereal oils or aetherolea, or simply as the “oil of” the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove.
An oil is “essential” in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not as a group need to have any specific chemical properties in common, beyond conveying characteristic fragrances.
Benefits of Essential Oils
What's in this article...
Health Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
* Relaxation: The essential oil of lavender produces relaxing and calming effect on the nervous system and helps to eradicate stress, nervous tension, migraines, anxiety and headaches. The fragrance of lavender oil promotes sleep and reduce restlessness and depression. Therefore, lavender oil provide relief to insomnia patient.
* Skin Care: The essential oil of lavender is effective enough to provide relief from numerous skin problems such as acne, psoriasis, wrinkles, scars and blemishes. The anti-fungal and antiseptic property of the lavender oil helps in the treatment of burns, cuts, eczema and sunburns.
* Pain Relief: The analgesic property of essential oil of lavender helps in the reduction of inflammation and pain. Lavender oil has amazing quality to effectively cure various types of pains including muscular aches, backaches, tense muscles, sprains, rheumatism, joint pains and sore muscles.
* Blood circulation: The essential oil of lavender has an amazing ability to lower lower blood pressure and helps in the treatment of hypertension by improving the circulation of blood in the body.
* Respiratory Disorders: Inhalation of lavender vapors from inhalers and vaporizers or its application on the skin is used to cure cold and cough. The other respiratory problems that are treated by lavender oil includes asthma, sinus, whooping cough, throat infections, bronchitis, flu, tonsillitis and laryngitis.
* Digestion: Consumption of lavender through cooking, or as a tea helps to assist in the process of digestion and reduce intestinal discomfort. Lavender oil promotes the secretion of the gastric and bile juices to cure problem of indigestion, flatulence, colic pain and diarrhea.
* Disinfectant: Lavender oil repel insects, moths and mosquitoes. It is also used to treat insect bites. The oil of lavender is included in mosquitoes repellents solution.
* Urinary problems: Lavender oil reduces the inflammation of the urinary bladder and promotes the production of urine. It is also useful in balancing the hormone level and reduction of associated cramp.
Health Benefits of Tea Tree Essential Oil
* Antibacterial: Tea tree oil is potent enough to fight all kinds of bacterial infections. Open wounds are prone to bacterial infections. Therefore, external application of tea tree oil on an open wound provides quick relief.
* Antiviral: Viral infections are hard to treat as the infection reappear after the cure. Virus has the ability to survive under impermissible conditions. They have the property to get dormant and can live for many years. They can only be killed if their cyst is broken. Tea tree oil has the amazing power to break the cysts of virus and provide relief from numerous viral infections such as measles, chicken pox, influenza, etc.
* Anti-fungal: Tea tree oil has remarkable properties to cure various fungal infections. The potent tea tree oil effectively suppress the growth of the fungal growth and cure fungal infections like dermatitis, athlete’s foot, warts, etc.
* Antiseptic: Some wounds are open to infections and may be the cause of tetanus and septic. Tea tree oil can be used as an antiseptic lotion. It is applied externally to the open wounds, eruptions, sores, cuts, blisters, insect bites, for quick relief.
* Antimicrobial: Tea tree oil effectively kills certain microbes, such as protozoa, which are responsible for the cause of malaria, flu and fever.
* Insecticide: The efficient Tea tree oil is the quick remedy to kill the insects. To provide relief from the insect bite, one may apply and rub the tea tree oil on the body. The parasites like mosquito, flies, fleas and other insects will remain at a distance.
* As a mouth Wash: Tea tree oil effectively kills the bacteria thriving in the mouth and can cure bad breath, diseased gums, gingivitis and plaque. Use the solution of warm water having two to three drops of the tea tree oil for gargle. It is recommended not to swallow the solution as it may pose some problems.
Health Benefits of Eucalyptus Oil
* Muscle pain: The essential oil of eucalyptus has analgesic and anti inflammatory properties, therefore it is used by the patients suffering from stiff muscles, tendons, aches, sprains, rheumatism and fibrosis. The eucalyptus oil penetrates deep in the skin when thoroughly massaged on the affected area. The aroma of the eucalyptus oil boosts the energy level.
* Stress and mental disorders: The use of eucalyptus oil rejuvenates the spirits and provide soothing and refreshing effect. The eucalyptus oil can be mixed with other oils for massaging. It calms the mind and eradicates mental fatigue, muscle pain, sluggishness and exhaustion.
* Dental care: Eucalyptus has germicidal properties, so it effectively kills the germs thriving in the mouth and provide relief from gingivitis, cavities, plaque, and dental infections. It is a popular ingredient in many toothpastes and mouthwashes.
* Wounds: The antiseptic properties of eucalyptus oil helps to heal wounds. When exposed to air formation of ozone takes place, which effectively cure burns, cuts, sores, ulcers, and abrasions. It even heals insect bites.
* Cold and flu: Eucalyptus oil provide quick relief to people suffering from cold, flu, sinus and blocked nose. It effectively reduces the body temperature and helps in treating fever. Therefore, it is also called as fever tree. To relieve symptoms of cold, one may apply a few drops of the oil in the handkerchief and inhale it. You may also make a eucalyptus oil bath by adding few drops of eucalyptus oil in warm water. This bath will have healing and therapeutic effect.
* Deodorant: Eucalyptus oil has antibacterial properties and it keeps away odor. It effectively works as a deodorant to keep you fresh and chill. It also keeps the environment clean by killing the germs and bacteria in the air.
* Aromatherapy: The soothing effect of the eucalyptus oil provides immense relief. Therefore, it is one of the essential oil used in aromatherapy to provide refreshing and relaxing effect.
Health Benefits of Chamomile Oil
* Sedative Properties: Chamomile has rich and pleasing aroma and, therefore, this oil has sedating properties. The inhalation of this aroma provides relief, makes you calm and peaceful and stimulate your mood. This is useful to treat depression, anxiety and stress. It pacifies the anger and irritation, especially in toddlers.
* Hair Care: Chamomile is used in the shampoos and conditioners. It effectively reduces the oil from the scalp and eradicates dandruff. It helps in the strengthening of the hair and provide protection from the external environment. It removes the harsh chemicals and toxic products from the hair. The head massage of the chamomile oil cures the problem of insomnia and provide good night sleep.
* Skin Care: The oil of chamomile is widely used in sunscreen lotions. It has known to effectively remove wrinkles, blemishes, acne and age spots. Chamomile oil balances the production of the sebum on the skin and impart natural and youthful glow on the skin. Moreover, it tightens the skin and help in skin repair. It can be applied on burns, wounds, ulcers, rashes and boils to provide soothing effect and early cure.
* Aromatherapy:Chamomile oil is widely used for aromatherapy sessions. They provide emotional, physical and psychological well-being. The sweet, pleasing, and fruity odor of the chamomile oil refreshes, renew and instantly relaxes the mind. It provides external as well as internal treatment. It is a quick remedy for headache, migraine and depression.
* Pain Killer: Chamomile oil is said to have amazing analgesic properties and it is highly effective in reducing pain in joints, muscles, toothache, sinus and bone injuries. It also provides relief from the pain of neuralgia by constricting the blood vessels.
* Stomach: Chamomile oil tone the muscles of the stomach and promote the secretions of the digestive enzymes and digestive juices to make the digestion process faster. They even increase the secretion of acid in the stomach that aids in early and fast digestion. The chamomile oil maintains the health of the liver and helps in the proper flow of bile from it.
Health Benefits Of Lemon Grass
* Sedative: Due to the wonderful soothing, calming and sedative properties of the lemongrass, it is used in aromatherapy and effectively cures itching on skin, inflammation and reduce stress and depression. It provides a good night sleep to insomnia patients.
* Astringent: The essential oil of the lemongrass has amazing astringent properties. It is used to stop the flow of blood from the wound and speed up the formation of the clot. Moreover, it strengthens gums, promotes hair growth and contracts blood vessel.
* Reduces pain:The analgesic property of the lemongrass helps in reducing inflammation and pain. It provides relief from pain in joints and muscles, toothache and headache.
* Antidepressant: Consumption of lemongrass tea effectively fights symptoms of depression and promote the happy feeling, boosts the self-confidence, psychological strength and lifts the spirit. It provides relief from stress, depression and anxiety. * See a doctor before using lemongrass for severe depression.
* Deodorant: Due to the soothing effect and sweet aroma of the lemongrass, it is effectively used as a deodorant. Lemongrass does not cause any irritation and skin allergies, thus it works as a cost-effective deodorant without leaving any side-effects.
* Galactogogue: Consumption of lemongrass is very useful for the nursing mothers and babies, as it increases mothers milk production. Lemongrass increase the amount of milk in the breasts and also improves the quality of the milk. Moreover, the babies are protected from infection after consuming the milk that has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of lemongrass.
* Diuretic: The diuretic property of lemongrass cause frequent and increased urination. This helps in effective eradication of the toxins from the body, loss of fat, loss of excess of water and removes gas. Due to frequent urination blood pressure is lowered too.
* Antibacterial and Antimicrobial: The essential oil of lemongrass suppress the growth of microbes and bacteria inside and outside the body. Thus, it helps in treating diseases like malaria, food poisoning, typhoid and skin diseases.